Tuesday, January 22, 2013

I Have a Dream

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the I Have A Dream speech as well as the 57th Inauguration of a US President.  What a glorious day!  Even if you aren’t a fan of the president’s policies, it was a glorious day for democracy and for the US.  What I heard from the Inaugural Address harkened back a bit to I Have A Dream, but more so to the Sermon on the Mount.  “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.  Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled.  Blessed are the merciful, for they will receive mercy.  Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God.  Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.  Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.  Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account.  Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven.”
President Obama spoke of equality: equality achieved at some levels, but not completely.  He spoke of the desire for everyone to feel and be equal.  Everyone deserves respect and kindness and love.  I couldn’t help but think of those who are poor in spirit, because they so want a child to hold and love.  I couldn’t help but think of those who mourn for the loss of a child, be it a miscarriage or stillborn birth.  I couldn’t help but think of the merciful, the caretakers for those who struggle and mourn. 
Do you see yourself amidst the poor in spirit, those who hunger for righteousness, the merciful, or the peacemakers?  Do you feel persecuted because your family doesn’t measure up to society’s view of the perfect family – two moms, single parent, one child, 5 children, aunts and grandmothers pitching in?
I have a dream.  I have a dream that one day everyone who wants to be a parent is one.  I have a dream that every parent who has a child will embrace them with love, patience and understanding.  I have a dream that no more children die before their parents do.  I have a dream that every family feels complete just the way it is.  I have a dream that our society will reach out and take care of those who have struggles along this parenthood journey.  I have a dream that words like miscarriage and postpartum depression are completely understood and that each community wraps their arms around the families who deal with these issues.  I have a dream that every family has the love and joy that I have in my family.
Let us continue to pray for that dream or whatever yours may be.

Here is my pastoral prayer from Sunday.
God of Justice and Might, who raised the meek and the righteous.
Thank you for this day. Thank you for the opportunity to praise your name and lift up each other.  Thank you for helping us overcome each day – our trials, our tribulations, our sin.
Lord, help us to love each other, care for each other, fight for justice for each other.
Lord, be with those who are in need of prayer.  Be with those in need of food and shelter.  Be with those in need of you.
In the name of Jesus, Amen. 


Lauren Boyd
Director of Programming and Membership at PHUMC
Partner to Candi and Mother to Miller who is 5

No comments:

Post a Comment