Monday, October 28, 2013

My daughter, the helper

We seem to have moved into a new development in toddler-hood lately: the “helping” stage.

My daughter likes to help me do everything. If I’m putting together a shoe rack, she hands me the pieces to assemble. (Though I may not need the piece she hands to me.) If I am cooking in the kitchen, she pulls out utensils so she can make a side dish. (I may need those utensils, or I may trip over the whisk she’s left in her wake.)  If I’m doing the laundry, she will throw clothes into the hamper, or into the washer. (Usually clean clothes.) If I am putting her books back on the shelf, the shelf from which she has ripped every book down only moments before, she will pick up a book and try to shove it back into place. (I can put every book back in the time it takes her to attempt one). And after seeing me throw a can into the recycling bin, she will put in (or take out) all sorts of things.

I should mention that my daughter isn’t just a helper. She’s a noticer. If something about her environment changes, she investigates immediately. If there’s a new toy in the room, or the furniture’s been moved, or daddy just finished using whatever implement for the first time in a while, then she must explore the change. This is fun to observe, in theory, but it means that it’s difficult to accomplish anything with her underfoot. She’s just exploring and trying to understand her environment, but it can be frustrating when she gets in the way.

It’s a fascinating combination of developments that she’s going through -- she helps, she mimics, and she openly, intentionally pushes boundaries and defies limits.

Last week, I yelled at my daughter. I lost my cool, as she pulled out yet another bottle or cardboard box out of the recycling bin after I told her not to for the 20th time that day. It bothers me that I don’t even know what it was. I’m sure she’s forgotten the evil roar that came out of my mouth, but I haven’t. I probably never will.

I constantly have to remind myself that she is a person with agency. She makes choices, most of which are based on her environment and how other people interact with it. She is intensely curious because she has agency -- for the first time in her life, she can make a choice and act on that choice. It must be incredibly hard to restrain herself.

For example: imagine discovering as an adult that you can fly. Then imagine two others humans, more than five times your size, telling you that you aren’t allowed to fly. These giant adults are very nice to you -- they feed you, play with you, clothe you, kiss you goodnight. You know that the biggest consequence of your defiance will be their disappointment.

That disappointment would mean a lot to you, wouldn’t it? But you’d still fly sometimes, wouldn’t you? I would. I’d figure that my giant protectors would forgive me eventually.

I think that’s how toddlers must feel, and I keep forgetting. And when I forget, and when I’m tired, I get frustrated. And that’s not her fault.

It’s hard not to cross the anger line. I have agency, and I have rules about how my house operates. When something about the environment that I’ve built changes, it’s hard to keep myself from intervening.

Man, I’m no better than a toddler.

No comments:

Post a Comment